Sunday, January 2, 2011

Homemade Brown Sugar Body Scrub

Winter is horrible on everyone's skin, including my own. I went in search of a really good sugar scrub that would help get my skin back to being even remotely healthy. Thing was, every single place I looked, decided that sugar scrub should cost a small fortune. If I were rich, that wouldn't be such a problem.

Sadly, I'm not rich and I have to keep on a tight budget just like a lot of other people do these days. So, after nixing the idea of buying a pre-made scrub, I opted to try to find a recipe for one that I could make at home without having to buy special ingredients for. I wanted something that's all natural and easy to put together. I found it!

Here it goes! How to make brown sugar body scrub:

Step #1: Get your ingredients together


You need some light brown sugar, olive oil (I used extra virgin) and some white sugar. How much of what you need depends entirely on just how much you want to make and how big your containers are. Which brings us to the next step.

Step #2: Find a manageable sized container


I bought this 4-pack of 1.2 cup sized Rubber Maid Take-Away containers for $2.50. They're the perfect size for a small, personal batch. But, since I wanted to make one for my mom, my aunt, and cousin to try as well, they're also great for transporting without having to worry about them dropping and breaking as glass jars would.

Step #3: Measure out brown sugar


In each little container, I scooped 1/3 of a cup of brown sugar into the bottom. You will have to adjust the measurement based solely on how big your own container is but, be careful not to add too much. You want both sugars to be in an even amount and have enough room to be able to stir the oil in without making a giant mess. Small ones are what we aim for.

Step #4: Measure out the white sugar


Again, this is 1/3 of a cup of white sugar. Adjust the measurement for your own container.

Step #5: Mix together


Using a fork, try to whisk the sugars together. If you are using a larger container, go ahead and use an actual whisk to do it.


Step #6: Pour in oil and mix


Using the same fork you used to whisk the sugars together, stir the oil into the sugar. You don't want to add too much oil to the mixture. You basically want just enough to make the whole thing look damp. I didn't really measure out how much of the oil I used, though, the amount was probably close to 1 1/2 or 2 tablespoons for each container.

Step #7: Cap containers and give them away


You are done! Go ahead and screw the lids on the containers SUPER tight and give them to whomever you wish. Or keep them all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment